This Persian dip is savory, cool, unique and oh so flavorful. I was craving it the other day, but I did not have any eggplants on hand. I did, however, have some zucchinis. In my mind, they would work as a perfect substitute, and I was…. correct-a-mundo! This dip turned out fantastic and delicious. It simply starts out with some grilled (or roasted) zucchini and then blends with yogurt and mint. Deeply caramelized onion and garlic tops this off and makes it delectable. This dip can be served with chips, pita, crackers, veggies, or as I had it a couple of lunches in a row, spread on a half of a bagel (my favorite gluten free ones). In case you’re wondering, kashk is actually not truly yogurt, it is actually closer to a sour cream. If you would rather use kashk, you could find it at an Iranian or Mediterranean market. You could also make this recipe with the eggplants instead of the zucchini, if you desire. Scroll down for recipe.↓
Brush zucchini slices with olive oil and sprinkle
Grill in a fry pan (or on an outdoor or indoor grill).↓
Turn over and grill the flip-sides.↓
You will end up with some gorgeous, deep-browned zucchini,
eat right away blend these with some of the caramelized onion and garlic (see below), yogurt, dry mint, lemon juice, salt and pepper.↓
Meanwhile, caramelize the onion for at least 15-20 minutes, or until deep brown, but not burnt. Add garlic a few minutes before the onions are done browning. (Garlic burns easily, and you need to grill them for much shorter a time than the onions).↓
Or spread on bread or a bagel! ↓
Zucchini Yogurt Dip
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil separated
- Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning or any seasoned salt
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 - 2/3 cup plain yogurt to desired taste and consistency
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 - 1 tsp. dried mint to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
Directions for Grilling Zucchini
- Slice zucchini lengthwise. Lay slices on working surface and brush both sides with olive oil. Sprinkle each side with Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning (or seasoned salt and pepper).
- Heat a fry pan (or grill) over medium high heat. To the hot pan, add zucchini, in a single layer, and leave undisturbed for 5-8 minutes, or until they get a deep brown color. With tongs, turn over and heat the flip sides of the zucchini, until that side develops a deep brown color. Remove from pan and allow to cool to room temperature.
Directions for Caramelizing Onion and Garlic
- In a medium fry pan, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil over medium high heat. Add to the hot oil, the thinly sliced onion. Stirring frequently, saute the onion until they reach a deep golden brown (almost crispy). Heat will probably need to be turned down a little, so the onion does not burn. Keep your eye on them. This will take 15 - 20 minutes, so stay patient. A couple minutes before the onions are done, add the minced garlic and stir often, preventing the garlic from burning. When garlic has just begun to turn golden, remove onion and garlic from the pan and allow to cool to room temperature. Separate into two portions: 2/3 and 1/3
Directions for Dip
- In a food processor or blender, combine grilled zucchini, yogurt, lemon juice, dried mint, and 2/3 of the caramelized onion and garlic. Blend briefly. Do not over-process, you want chunks and texture in the dip. Add more salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spoon dip into a serving bowl and top with the remaining 1/3 caramelized onion and garlic. Serve with chips, crackers, pita or vegetables. Or use as a spread on bread.