Yesterday, I posted my homemade Chicken Enchiladas. I served them with this delicious Mexican Rice recipe. You will never believe how simple it is…. just toss it all in a rice cooker! Done! Yum! You could make this just as easily on the stove-top as well. There is only one thing I will do different the next time I make it: I will add a little fresh, chopped, green bell pepper, to give it some more green color. (Definitely doesn’t need it for the flavor, just the aesthetics). No need to post prep images of this recipe. It’s a no-brainer. 😉
Rice Cooker Mexican Rice
- 1 cup* rice white, long grain
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 3 oz. tomato paste half of a 6 oz. can
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper diced**
- 1-2 garlic cloves minced
- 1- 4 oz. can diced green chiles mild
- pepper to taste
- pinch of red pepper flakes or more, to taste
- Throw all ingredients in a rice cooker. Give a good stir.
- Turn on rice cooker and cook according to manufacturer's instructions.
- When rice cooker turns off, let sit for a few more minutes, with the lid on.
- Fluff with a fork and serve!
**I didn't have the green bell pepper on hand, but I wish I had, because it adds a great, green color to the dish. This ingredient is mainly for aesthetics. (Some brands of canned green chiles tend to be pale in color, and lighten even more after cooking).