A Thirty Minute Meal (Food Network) inspired this recipe. It is very simple to make and so versatile. Such wonderful flavors come together in this marinade. It combines lime, honey (or agave), cilantro and cumin, to produce a mouthwatering flavor fit for many types of foods. I have used this marinade for chicken many times, but recently had the idea to venture out of the coop. There really is no limit to what you can use it with: steak, fish, vegetables, tofu, or whatever else can be grilled or stir fried. Though grilling is a popular way to prepare fajita fillings, I prefer stir-frying or sautéing. The recipe below has a chicken version and a veggie version. Please keep in mind that honey is not vegan. Use agave syrup as a substitute when preparing vegan. Recipe Below.↓
Marinate sliced chicken breast for about 20 minutes
Versatile Fajita Marinade
- juice of one lime
- 1 Tbsp. honey agave for vegan
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. cilantro finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt such as Lawry's
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- pepper to taste
- crushed red pepper to taste
*Chicken Version Ingredients
- 3 breasts chicken sliced into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- one onion sliced lengthwise
- one bell pepper sliced lengthwise
- sour cream and guacamole- for condiments
- tortillas- for wrapping
*Veggie Version Ingredients
- 1 onion sliced lengthwise
- 1 bell pepper sliced lengthwise
- 1 small zucchini sliced lengthwise
- 8 oz. mushrooms sliced
- 1 medium tomato sliced in wedges
- guacamole- for condiments
- tortillas- for wrapping
Directions for Chicken Version
- In a large shallow bowl, combine lime juice, honey, olive oil, chopped cilantro, seasoned salt, pepper and crushed red pepper.
- **Slice chicken breasts in 1/2 inch strips and add to marinade. Allow chicken to marinade while preparing vegetables (or about 20 minutes).
- Slice onions and bell peppers. Heat 1 tsp. oil in frying pan at medium-high heat. Add vegetables and saute for about 5-7 minutes, or until they are golden brown, and barely softened. Remove from pan.
- **In same pan at medium high heat add chicken and 1 Tbsp. marinade (dispose of remaining marinade). Without overcrowding (prepare in batches, if necessary) saute chicken for about 6 minutes or until they are a medium golden brown. Flip chicken over and brown on other side. (Try not to move chicken while sauteing, they don't brown well nor develop good flavor if disturbed). Continue to cook chicken until the liquid has almost cooked off. At this point add the vegetables back in for a quick heat-up.
- Serve with sour cream, guacamole, and tortillas
Vegetable Version Directions
- In a small bowl, combine lime juice, agave syrup, olive oil, chopped cilantro, seasoned salt, cumin, pepper and crushed red pepper. Set aside.
- Slice tomatoes, set aside for later.
- Slice onion, bell pepper, zucchini and mushrooms. No need to marinade the vegetables.
- Heat a fry pan to medium-high heat. Add all at once, the onion, bell pepper, zucchini, mushrooms and marinade. Stirring often, heat vegetables until they are a light golden brown, and barely soft (about 5-7 minutes). Add the tomatoes to the veggies and cook for 1-2 minutes longer, just to get a little color on the tomatoes but not cook them to a mushy state.
- Serve with guacamole and tortillas.