I don’t want to bake today, nor cook…. This happens a lot in the summer. I just want something quick, tasty and cool. This salad fills the bill and solves the ‘no burners today’ problem. The seasonings in this simple yogurt dressing are simple and classic: cumin, lime, garlic and honey. I love those flavors together, I use them in my Fajita Marinade as well. This dressing can be made vegan if you use vegan yogurt, and agave syrup in place of the honey. I used green leaf lettuce and topped it with tomatoes, zucchini, black beans, and my favorite, corn. I imagine other toppings such as cucumber, avocado, bell pepper, green onion and cilantro would be super tasty as well. Just use whatever is in your refrigerator. Another additional crunchy topper could be corn chips. Go… get creative… NO, STAY and browse my recipes! 😀
Tex Mex Salad
Ingredients for Dressing
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt vegan, if desired
- 1/2 to 1 lime zested and juiced
- 1 Tbsp. honey or agave for vegan
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. seasoned salt such as Lawry's
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- pepper to taste
Ingredients for Salad
- 9-12 oz. lettuce of choice chopped
- 1 small zucchini diced
- 1 med-large tomato diced
- 1/2 cup black beans canned or fresh
- 1/2 cup corn kernels frozen or fresh
Directions for Dressing
- In a jar or container with a tight fitting lid, combine all dressing ingredients. Place jar on lid and shake well until mixed.
Directions for Salad
- On a large plate or serving bowl, toss in lettuce and top with remaining ingredients. Pour yogurt dressing over, give a gentle mix and serve.
Use any lettuce you wish, and top with whatever you have in the refrigerator. Some suggestions-
....top with corn chips...