It has been a week since my last post. In the future, I don’t intend to go quite so long between posts… at least not until I have filled all my recipe categories up with a few dozen posts each (a girl can dream). My blog has been under construction, and it may look a little different to you if you haven’t visited recently. I would love to hear comments on the overall look/layout/functionality of my site. Please give me feedback in the comment section! 🙂
The other day I was browsing the snack isle when I came across an intriguing package of nuts: pecans flavored with oranges and black pepper. I can’t remember the brand, but I do remember what I was thinking… These look delicious! I was also thinking, I could make these at home! So, that’s what I did, and they turned out awesome! You may be thinking, it’s an odd time of year to make a snack with flavors such as pecans with orange and cranberries…. that sounds like a fall or winter snack. Sure, they would make a perfect addition to a Thanksgiving spread, or a tasty Christmas gift for neighbors, but my cravings don’t always make sense, so I wanted them now. I kindly suggest you scroll down and print a copy of the recipe and stash it away into your cold weather recipes… but, make them right now also. After all, they taste great regardless of the season.
Chop orange peels. I have instructions on how to prepare and dry orange peels HERE. (You can use orange zest instead, if you prefer).↓
Candied Orange Pecans
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 Tbsp. orange juice
- 1 Tbsp. orange peel chopped (or 1 tsp. orange zest)
- 1/4 tsp. salt or more, to taste
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper or more, to taste
- 2 1/2 cups pecan halves
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- In a sauce pan, combine orange juice, sugar, salt, pepper and orange peels (or zest). Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture reaches 238° F with a candy thermometer. Remove from heat.
- Add to sauce pan, the pecans and cranberries. Stir well to coat.
- Pour pecans and cranberries onto a cookie sheet lined with wax or parchment paper. Separate pieces with a fork.
- Allow to cool completely and store in an airtight container.