This is a traditional recipe for a popular Mexican side. Pico De Gallo might also be known as ‘chunky salsa’. It simply consists of fresh tomatoes, onion, jalapeno peppers and cilantro, dressed with lime juice, salt, and garlic (if desired). When I made quesadillas the other day, I absolutely had to whip up a fresh bowl of this. It completed the meal perfectly. I think you will agree!
Pico De Gallo
- 3 large roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 * jalapeno pepper seeded and minced
- handful cilantro finely chopped
- juice of one lime
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder or fresh, if desired
- Quarter tomatoes and remove seeds. Chop the seeded tomatoes, onion, jalapeno (diced small), and cilantro. Place all in a medium bowl. Add, lime juice, salt, and fresh or powdered garlic (if using). Stir and let sit for about an hour to marinate.
- Serve with tortilla chips, quesadillas, or anything else!
I don't tolerate spicy very well, so I only used 1/4 of my jalapeno. I also dice it very small for that reason. You can add as much as you can take, or chop it as large as you wish. 😉